Five UIL students advance to state

Kenze Graff

The academic UIL competitors show off their medals from the regional meet at Blinn College in Brenham.

Twenty-six Central Heights High School students competed in the Region 3-3A University Interscholastic League academic competition on April 23 at Blinn College in Brenham, Texas. Four academic coaches, Marcie Splann, Donna Johnson, Kenze Graff and Tracie Sullivan, accompanied these students.

In Spelling and Vocabulary, sophomore Nick West placed third, advancing him to state. The wild card Spelling and Vocabulary team, composed of West, sophomore Hailey Sparks, junior Jackson Jolly, and junior Kathryn Jacks, took first place and advanced to state. 

“The best part of regionals was hearing the results [and] then finding out our team got first place,” West said.

The team was shocked to learn that they placed first.

“My goal was to improve my score from [District],” Hailey Sparks said, “but it was exciting to get first place as a team.”

In Copy Editing, senior Connor Rudolph placed second, advancing him to state. 

“I’m surprised that I’ve gotten this far,” Rudolph said, “I won first place in district and second at regionals, so if this pattern continues, hopefully, I can get third at state.”

UIL coordinator Tracie Sullivan is proud of the work her students put in to prepare. 

“I am proud of all the regional competitors,” she said. “I have seen more dedicated practice this year than in previous years. Some did not advance; however, I feel they will be even more prepared next year.” 

Before competition day, the regional competitors had a relaxing day away from school.

“We went to the Grand Station arcade in College Station,” West said. “The arcade was very entertaining, and I almost bowled a 300. Jolley also got a nosebleed playing VR.”

The spelling team and Rudolph will compete at the UIL state meet on May 6-7 at the University of Texas in Austin, Texas. 

“I am really excited for these five students to experience UIL at the state level,” Sullivan said. “There’s just something about being in the room with the best of the best from 1A to 6A.”