The Daily Blue

The Student News Site of Central Heights High School

The Daily Blue

The Daily Blue

Central Heights takes on paradise

Blue Devil volleyball plays in Florida tournament
Sharrone King

The Blue Devil volleyball team flew across the country to play against competition from
Alaska to New York at the one and only Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida.
After months of raising money and hours of practice, the Central Heights Blue Devil
volleyball team went to the tournament in Orlando, Fla., from Aug. 30- Sept. 2. The team not
only competed with other teams from around the United States but also had a once in a lifetime
experience.
The coaches and players held many fundraisers to raise money for the trip.
“It took about a little over $28,000 to take the team on the trip,” head volleyball coach
Logan Smoak said. “We started fundraising in December and wrapped it up at the end of June.”
The team played volleyball almost every day while also going to the parks in their free
time.
“We had three games on our first day and spent the rest of the evening in the park. Then
the next day we started at the park before going to volleyball,” Smoak said. “We got to go to the
park every single day, but volleyball was still the main focus.”
The volleyball team got sixth in the tournament overall. They played teams from across
the country and even some hometown teams from Texas.
“We got sixth in our bracket, and we were in the top bracket,” Smoak said. “There were
64 teams total, but in ours there were 16.”
Emory Muckleroy loved the rides and the big roller coasters.
“I like the red one where it went up and down,” libero Emory Mucklerory said. “I really
like the dinosaur velocicoaster one because I like Jurassic World.”

The team also got to go around to all the mini shops and try the amazing different foods
they had to offer.
“My favorite places at the parks were the candy shops and voodoo donuts,” right-side
hitter Analyse Commander said. “I also had a lot of Starbucks and chocolate pancakes.”
The team had an amazing time playing teams around the country and getting to spend
time together at the parks.
“I would absolutely want to do this again in the future, just not anytime super soon. It’s
just too much money to raise, so it’s going to be at least a couple years,” Smoak said. ” I think
that for even all the families that went, it was a great trip.”
Blue Devil volleyball wants to thank all their sponsors who made this trip possible:
America’s Best Crawfish, Tidal Wave, Kenco, Stiles Electric, Memorial Hospital, and Gound Chevrolet.