The Daily Blue

The Student News Site of Central Heights High School

The Daily Blue

The Daily Blue

JV Tennis competes at first tournament of season

Coach McClain poses with JV Tennis at the Hudson tournament.

This past week, Junior Varsity tennis had their first tournament of the season. Hosted by Hudson,  Central Heights and other schools like Diboll and San Augustine participated in the tournament.

The JV team left from the courts and arrived at Hudson at about 8 in the morning. They practiced for about 30 minutes before the tournament officially started. The JV team consisted of two singles players, two boys double teams and two girls double teams. Each team was guaranteed at least 3 matches to play in the tournament. 

The singles players, sophomore Ryan Moore and junior Skylar Chung, each played their matches with some wins and losses. Unfortunately, neither of the boys got too far into the tournament but congratulations to them for representing Central Heights.

The boys double teams, sophomores McCray and McCoy Moody and sophomores Chris Perez and Matthew Goranson, played their matches against other doubles. Losing the first match and winning the rest, McCray and McCoy made it through the loser’s bracket and won the Constellation medal. Congrats to them for making it through the bracket.

The girls double teams, sophomores Layla Soto and Bolutife Odunuga and sophomores Calla Rudolph and Eden Bey, excelled in their matches. Both of the girls double teams excelled at the tournament beating out every team they competed against. They both made it to the finals of the tournament and played their final match here at the CH tennis courts. They competed for first and second place with Rudolph and Bey taking first place and Soto and Odunuga winning second place.